In our latest blogs, we’ve been talking about habits that can help us live a healthy life and how we can strengthen its four foundations.
We’ve started with the importance of eating healthy foods: Healthy people eat healthy food. We’ve moved to our attitude, because Healthy people think healthy thoughts, and now we are going to discuss the physical foundation of our life.
Healthy people exercise well
Today’s society does not move as much as it did 20 years ago. Therefore, making an intentional change to live a better life, by integrating a quick workout into our daily routine we’ll make all the difference.
A dance fitness group working out at the theskinnycenter gym
Benefits of exercise
Physical benefits of exercising:
- Lose and maintain weight. Exercise can help prevent excess weight gain or help maintain weight loss. When you engage in physical activity, you burn calories.
- Live longer. It's no secret that healthy living will keep you alive longer, but you might be surprised at how much.
- combat health conditions and diseases. There are about 40 clinic diseases that can be prevented or cured by exercise.
- Increase memory. Not only is the brain is getting more energy and oxygen, but many studies have shown that exercise can boost our memory and help us learn better.
- Sleep better. Regular physical activity can help us fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Just don't exercise too close to bedtime, or you may be too energized to fall asleep.
- Gain more energy. Regular exercise can actually make us feel more energized throughout the day. In fact, one study found that exercising in the middle of the day can leave us feeling more energetic and productive for the rest of the afternoon.
- Increase immunity. Studies have found that people who exercised regularly were half as likely to get a cold than people who didn't.
- Feel better. Obviously, exercise can improve our appearance which can improve confidence, but there's more to it than that. Exercise can also help us feel more accomplished and social integrated.
- Release stress. Stress can really wreak havoc with our mind, but studies have shown that exercise is a great way to combat it. Not only are those endorphins natural stress-fighters, but getting into that exercise groove helps get our mind off the things stressing us out.
- Fight depression, anxieties, worried, stress.
- Make us happier and this will show up in our relationships.
- Increase the love life by improving our sex life.
All these benefits put together equal a much happier person. It's not just those "runner's high" endorphins—regular exercise can actually improve our life in so-many ways.
Where to start:
- Be determine to pursue excellence for your body!
- Choose a program and add it to your schedule, no matter how long, but do it periodically.
- Remember to check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program, especially if you haven't exercised for a long time, have chronic health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes or arthritis, or you have any concerns.
- Take regular walks outside, because even little exercise have great impact on your brain and health.
- Integrate some short exercises during your working hours if your job makes you sit for a long period of time.
- Plan a fitness retreat to help you focus on your fitness needs.
Do’s and Don’ts
According to the exercise physiologist and behavioral coach Sean Foy, these are some do’s and don’ts to help you succeed when you’ve decided to get back into shape:
- Do choose activities you enjoy; the best activities for you are the ones you’ll do.
- Do get an exercise buddy or accountability partner to keep you honest.
- Do start off moderately, with a few minutes of exercise, and slowly increase.
- Do drink lots of water before, during and after your workout.
- Do cool down after exercising to relax your muscles and gradually lower your heart rate.
- Don’t begin exercising without warming up first to prepare your body and mind.
- Don’t try to race someone or get competitive when you are just starting out – you’ll risk injury.
- Don’t obsess over weight loss; concentrate on getting fit and using energy, and the weight loss will come in time.
- Don’t let yourself get bored – add new activities to your routine.
- Don’t forget about good nutrition. Eat a variety of foods every day, color your plate with as many different vegetables and fruits and consider supplements to ensure complete nutrition and attain your optimal health.
For those of us who want to be healthy, adding a scheduled exercising time in our daily routine is a no question need. All we need to do is to dream about getting fit and act upon it. And all the benefits listed above and many more, will enrich our lives for good.
Achieve your fitness dreams starting today!