We all know that too little sleep or poor sleep quality can make you age faster. But how exactly is sleep quality related to health? One reason may be due to how sleep affects telomeres.
What are Telomeres?
A telomere is a region of repetitive DNA at the end of a chromosome, which protects the end of the chromosome from deterioration. Telomeres compensate for incomplete semi-conservative DNA replication at chromosomal ends.
What’s the role of Telomeres in our body?
If cells divided without telomeres, they would lose the ends of their chromosomes, and the necessary information they contain. (1)
Telomeres protect a cell's chromosomes from fusing with each other o rearranging—abnormalities which can lead to cancer—and so cells are normally destroyed when their telomeres are consumed. Some cancers are the result of "immortal" cells which have ways of evading this programmed destruction.
What happen when telomeres shorten?
"When telomeres shorten, bad things happen".
The telomere shortening mechanism normally limits cells to a fixed number of divisions, and animal studies suggest that this is responsible for aging on the cellular level and sets a limit on life spans. (2)
Researchers from the University of California, San Francisco, including Nobel Laureate Elizabeth Blackburn ( 2009 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery of how chromosomes are protected by telomeres and the enzyme telomerase) have attempted to further characterize the relationship between sleep quality and telomere length, alongside another lifestyle factor implicated in telomere health - chronic stress.
A study published in the May 3, 2005 issue of the American Heart Association journal "Circulation" found that weight gain and increased insulin resistance were correlated with greater telomere shortening over time.
A more recent study, published in the 2014 December issue of the journal "Brain, Behavior, and Immunity" (3) looked at sleep quality, self-reported stress levels, and telomere length from several immune cell types in obese subjects. They found that poor sleep quality was closely associated with significantly shorter telomeres in most immune cell types.
Isagenix’s Solutions for Telomeres Shortage
Isagenix can help individuals with poor sleep quality, unrelenting stress, and weight management problems. Increase your body’s chance to improve your sleep quality and "energize" your telomeres.
- Isagenix has developed Sleep Support and Renewal™, which contains a fast acting melatonin formulation along with other calming ingredients such as valerian root and the amino acid L-theanine.
- For combating life’s daily stresses, Isagenix offers Ionix Supreme, a concentrated beverage full of adaptogenic herbs to improve stress management and reduce stress-induced fatigue along with the Adaptogen-rich, naturally sourced caffeinated e+ energy shot.
- For healthy, sustained weight loss and improved body composition, the 30-Day Cleansing and Fat Burning significantly reduces body weight, total body fat, and visceral fat.
Live an extraordinary life everyday starting TODAY!
Know and share what makes you feel and look your BEST!
- News Medical. Telomere and What are Telomeres. Available at:
- Isagenix Health. Are Your Telomeres Tires? Available at:
- Prather AA et al. Tired telomeres: Poor global sleep quality, perceived stress, and telomere length in immune cell subsets in obese men and women. Brain Behav Immun 2014 Dec 20. pii: S0889-1591(14)00574-1. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2014.12.011. [Epub ahead of print].